Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Poire Belle Helene

I ate such kind of "weird" dessert when I visited a small yet very popular dining place in Verona. It was served on a plate, a pear cut in half, horizontally and asymmetrically, served on a plate with hot chocolate sauce. But it was an excellent dessert indeed! The pear was as soft and tender as puddings because it had been boiled, yet it gave a different sensation. You know a bit gritty texture like how pears supposed to be.

This dessert was created by a famous French chef to honour the opera of La Belle Helene from Offenbach. The appropriate recipe is here.

Well, my version isn't as grandeur as that though :D
since the reason was just mainly because the pears that I bought (they were on sale >.>) were hard to bite. So I remember that dessert ;D
I didn't have any chocolate though for the sauce, so I just used instant chocolate pudding. Thus, instead of having cold, soft boiled pear with hot chocolate sauce, I had a cold chocolate pudding and soft,hot boiled pear xD
Phail, i know >.>
But but it was delicioussss *in a defensive tone*;P
So, here is what you need to make it:
- 3 Pears (It was pera williams; williams pear, I suppose? colored brown), peeled, cored, halfed / quartered
- 2 tbsp honey
- some water
- some cinnamon powder
- instant chocolate pudding, follow its cooking instruction ;P
Bring to boil the water and honey in a flat pan, add the cinnamon powder too. Lower the heat and set the pears so that all are in touch with the honeyed water, close the pan. Leave them until the pears are soft as you like.
Serve the pears with the pudding, add some whipped cream if u like ;P
the gorgeous picture will be coming up soon ;D

No comments: